Open Technology Fund - F3 - (July 2022)

Sent today to OTF:

Hi,

Do you have clarity on when a decision will be made by the external reviewer(s)? I’m kind of excited that this is the last step and curious about when to expect the final concusion.

Cheers

Sent today to OTF:

Gentle ping?

Reply from OTF:

Hi Loïc,

Thank you again for your patience. The external reviewers have just finished evaluating your proposal and are generally supportive, but raised the same concerns around the budget that you and I discussed on our call. If you are still comfortable with your original budget, we can proceed with that figure. However, we want to give you one more chance to review it to make sure you are covered in terms of your expenses in the course of doing this work.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Best regards,

My reply

Hi [redacted],

My initial estimate was made a year ago and inflation in France where I reside was significant and probably calls for a 10% increase to be conservative. That being said I confirm that my estimate takes into account the taxes that are due by law to cover social security, unemployment, retirement, etc.

If a total amount reevaluated to 70000 (seventy thousand) is agreeable to you, that would cover my expenses in the course of doing this work.

Thanks again for your consideration and I hope for a favorable decision.

Sincerely

Reply from OTF:

Upon evaluation of your proposal, we have decided to solicit more information from you before making a determination. We have been reviewing many projects and appreciate your patience during the process.

At the end of this message, we have provided feedback from our determination for your review. Please provide your responses by updating your proposal no later than July 21, 2023.

[redacted]

The external reviewers very much appreciate the concept of F3 and providing FLOSS alternatives to commercial software. They recommend that you include some public facing way like a wiki for potential novice users to read about the project and ask questions.

They were also questions about how F3 would be integrated into the Gitea codebase. Do you have a relationship with Gitea that would make this process easier?

In addition please update the total budget amount in the proposal to reflect our earlier communication.

I replied the following:

Hi [redacted],

Thanks for your quick reply.

There has been one major development in the past year that creates a context more favorable to F3. I have reviewed and updated the initial proposal to factor in the newly created software forge https://forgejo.org. It is derived from Gitea and I participate in its development since its inception in October 2022. It has a user base of a little over 50,000 and a few hundred instances have been installed. This is not very large but it is an excellent context to field test F3.

They were also questions about how F3 would be integrated into the Gitea codebase. Do you have a relationship with Gitea that would make this process easier?

The primary target for F3 changed from Gitea to Forgejo. There is a strong commitment from the Forgejo developer community to release F3 as part of Forgejo as soon as it is ready. Because Forgejo is fully compatible with Gitea, will be as simple as proposing a pull request to enable F3 in Gitea once it has matured.

The proposal was updated to clarify that.

They recommend that you include some public facing way like a wiki for potential novice users to read about the project and ask questions.

There will be an integrated wiki in the project as well as a discourse based forum for the community (experts or novices alike) to engage and communicate. I did not add that explicitly in the proposal, maybe I should have?

Thanks for your support,

Sincerely

01-project-objectives.txt (10.2 KB)
02-proposal-narrative.txt (18.2 KB)
03-technical-feasability.txt (1.8 KB)
04-usability-ux-accessibility.txt (3.7 KB)
05-alternative-analysis.txt (2.7 KB)
06-similar-efforts.txt (1.3 KB)
07-monitoring-and-evaluating.txt (3.6 KB)
08-strategy-beyond-otf.txt (3.6 KB)
09-why-you-and-your-team.txt (1.6 KB)

Received today

Dear Loïc Dachary,

Your application has been reviewed and the outcome is: Approved

Dear Loïc,

Congratulations, your proposal is now moving to compliance and I will email you soon to start the contracting process.
The reviewers were very happy that someone is finally trying to tackle this long, ongoing problem. They liked that you are an experienced, FLOSS developer who also has a lot of experience working on secure code and understands the issue. They encourage you to continue thinking about the broader communities and engaging with OASIS and W3C standards bodies. This will be crucial to the project’s long-term success.
Thanks and again, congrats!

Read the full determination here: [redacted]

Link to your application: [redacted]
If you have any questions, please submit them here: [redacted]

See our guide for more information: General Funding Guidelines - OTF Application Guidebook

If you have any issues accessing the submission system or other general inquiries, please email us at hello@opentech.fund

Kind Regards,
The OTF Team

Replied

Hi [redacted],

Thanks for the good news! Very much looking forward to the next steps.

Sincerely

1 Like

Received today.

Hi Loïc,

We are ready to issue the contract but we need to know how you would like to be paid. We can either pay monthly by dividing the total budget amount by the 12 or we could pay based on completion of each deliverable. With the first option you would submit a monthly report detailing what was done that month. In the second option you would need to determine how much time each deliverable will take and how much of the budget should be paid to you for each deliverable. I am sending you a budget template via email so you can break down your costs. Let’s find a time early next week to review.

Best,

My Reply

Hi [redacted],

I will study the template and prepare a draft for you to review. I will prefer to be paid based on the completion of each deliverable. I just have one important question before I can proceed: how much flexibility is there regarding the starting date? Does it need to start on September? October? November?

Thanks for your help

The reply came shortly after

Hi Loic,

Great, we’ll work on setting up payments based on the deliverables. We also have a lot of flexibility with start dates. One last thing, based on your calculations on the number of days you need for the project, 130, at 8 hours per day. 70720 USD at 68 USD per hour. If you would like to change this in your budget please do so.

Best,

Budget Template - Deliverables.xlsx (506.6 KB)

Sent today

Hi [redacted],

I filled in the budget template and attach it below.

I assumed the “Project Objectives” of the proposal are “deliverables” in the context of the budget template. And what was called “deliverables” in the proposal are a list of concrete items (repositories, reports, code, releases) that will be verified to be as expected before an invoice can be issued.

This is still a draft and I have two more questions:

• Is the wording used to describe each objective and their deliverable in the “Project Objectives” part of the proposal good enough? Or should it be reworded and/or expanded?
  • Would it be possible to change one of the project objectives (Python package reference implementation)? At the time of the submission it was chosen because it could be delivered with a reasonable level of certainty, but it is low impact. The better objective would be a “Ruby package reference implementation” because it could be used by GitLab which has a larger audience. Experiments conducted this year tend to confirm this can be accomplished within the allocated budget.

Thanks for your help

2023-08-budget-deliverable.xlsx (503.5 KB)

Sent today

Hi [redacted],

I sent you an email but maybe I should have replied here with the spreadsheet? Please let me know which communication channel is preferred to continue the discussion. Mail can easily be overlooked.

Cheers

Here is the final budget deliverable spreadsheet, for a contract to be signed in the following days and a start time of 1 January 2024.

2023-12-budget-deliverable.xlsx (458.4 KB)

Here is the contract before signature.

B00276-1348-00 Easter Eggs Contract for Contractor Signature.pdf (327.9 KB)

Received 10 January 2024

Dear Loïc

Congratulations on becoming an Open Technology Fund project. Below is an overview of important information to help you get started. Please read carefully and let us know if you have any questions. I would like to schedule a call in the next few days to answer any questions you might have. Please let me know your

Best regards,

*** Step 1: Communication ***

Communicating with both the OTF staff and current OTF-supported projects is important to ensure that knowledge share happens, and synergies are created. As a result, we will be adding you to the mailing list: otf-talk@opentech.fund

Please give us the email addresses you would like added.

otf-talk has all past and current projects, fellows, and community members. It’s a place for you to share knowledge, ask questions to the broader community, post interesting events, research or thoughts, or generally connect with your colleagues. Posts shared on otf-talk are discussed by the larger community and could be shared with public media, so if your project is not public please don’t share updates here.

Please review our OTF-Talk Guidance for more details on the types of communication meant for this mailing list.

*** Step 2: Feedback ***

We don’t require regular check-in meetings, but we may request to check-in and we’re available for support whenever you need it.

We welcome feedback throughout your time with OTF, including on our systems, processes, and management of your project. You are always welcome to email me directly.

*** Step 3: Invoicing ***

Payment is issued when your objectives and deliverables are completed, unless otherwise stated in your contract.

An invoice cannot be processed without adequate documentation to demonstrate the work has been completed. The type of documentation required depends heavily on the type of work being performed. In general, the more information that can be provided, the less likely OTF will follow up requesting additional documentation. It may be easiest to think about what evidence you would want to see if your project was paying someone for the work.

Please send your invoice to your program manager.

For more information on invoicing, including invoice format, please see Section 5 of your Contract.

*** Step 4: Monthly Reports ***

Outside of invoicing, the only other information we require is a monthly report by the beginning of each month for the duration of the contract. You will send these reports to otf-reports@opentech.fund. Please note that the otf-reports mailing list includes only OTF programming staff and the communications team. Please review our Monthly Report Guidance for more information. Please be sure to submit this on time. These are essential for our own reporting requirements.

*** Step 5: Listing your Project on the OTF Website ****

OTF strives to have an open program framework to improve upon the work other Internet freedom funders have done before us. As a result of this commitment, contracts include language allowing for projects to be publicly listed, along with the contract amount and length.

Please provide me with a project description, any social media or websites, and a logo if available.

While OTF will consider requests to keep this information confidential, it is incumbent upon the project to adequately demonstrate why this information should not be made publicly available.

You can see other projects’ pages here.

*** OTF Visibility Guidelines ***

You’re not required to mention that you are affiliated or receiving support from OTF. You’re welcome to use our logo, though, and we’ve provided a copy, , as well as our guidelines around the use of it. If you have any questions please contact our Communications Director Jason Aul (jason@opentech.fund).

*** Step 6: Review OTF Resources for Projects ***

OTF’s Labs provide additional services to Internet freedom projects through third-party service providers:

• Learning Lab: helps projects produce post-project reports, blog-style write-ups, infographics, press releases, and more, to ensure that all project outputs are presented in a visually appealing, professional format. We will send out a reminder message to you approximately 60-90 days from the end of your project, should you wish to utilize this resource. If you have any questions, please contact the Lab’s lead, Jason Aul: jason@opentech.fund.
  • Localization Lab: localizes tools to help them reach broad adoption. Our partners have a vast community of translators to ensure your tools are culturally appropriate. Please contact the Lab’s manager, Sandy Fulton, for more details: sandy@opentech.fund.
  • Red Team Lab: provides auditing services to validate the privacy and security claims of software, and advance projects’ software security best-practices. Contact the Lab’s lead, Shems Abdelwahab, with any questions: shems@opentech.fund.
  • Secure Usability and Accessibility Lab: offers secure usability and user-interface assistance to Internet freedom and digital security tools to help them recognize and solve usability challenges that hamper their adoption in repressive contexts. Contact the Lab’s lead, Ramy Raoof, for more details: ramy@opentech.fund.

We encourage you to check out all of these services, and consider which ones might be beneficial for your project.

*** Step 7: Familiarize Yourself With Contract Amendments ***

We understand that a project plan is an estimation of how the activities should be carried out and numerous factors impact the best means of achieving the project goals. Given this, we provide projects the ability to update their deliverables, the amounts allocated to specific activities, and/or the timeline.

Available Contract Amendments:

• No-Cost Extension: if you need more time to complete deliverables
  • Contract Price
  • Change Order: changing the scope of the work
  • Party Amendment: to substitute the contractor identified as a party in the contract with another party (these are approved in rare circumstances)

Amending your contract entails completing a Contract Amendment Request form. It’s important that you send the request as soon as possible; for No-Cost Extension requests, it’s preferable that you notify me at least two months before your current contract end date.

*** OTF Summit & Gatherings***

Every year OTF gathers together representatives from its supported projects, fellows, Labs, and Advisory Council to strengthen community ties, facilitate collaboration between different projects and across disciplines, and map out the most pressing issues and challenges facing the Internet freedom community.

OTF may also organize additional gatherings around specific themes and if any coincide with your focus, we’ll notify you.

*** Travel Guidance***

Please refer to your contract for OTF’s travel policy.

As an OTF Contractor, your travel will need to comply with the following regulations:

• Fly America Act
  • US Government Per Diem Rates
  • 2 CFR 200 (Uniform Guidance), requiring costs be reasonable, properly allocated, and allowable

OTF-Talk_Guidance.odt (23.0 KB)
OTF_Report_Guidance.odt (21.2 KB)

Sent the following reply today.

Hi,

Please add loic@dachary.org to otf-talk. I have reviewed the OTF talk guidance document and the examples are very useful. I will have an immediate use of it for the purpose of user research, as it requires participation from people outside of the F3 project.

Here is a description of F3 for inclusion on the OTF website. The logo is attached. It would be more accurate to describe F3 as “F3 will be” rather than “F3 is” because there is barely more than scaffolding at this point. This will be revisited if a decision is made to advertise F3 so as to not confuse people. Right now, although the description is public, this did not confuse anyone AFAICT.

URL: https://f3.forgefriends.org/

The Friendly Forge Format (abbreviated F3) is an Open File Format for storing the information from a forge such as issues, pull/merge requests, milestones, release assets, etc. as well as the associated VCS (Git, Mercurial, etc.).

The structure of the archive is a hierarchy of files that are:

• JSON files with a normative JSON schema to describe what is usually stored in a forge database (issues, labels, etc.)
  • Content addressable files (avatars, release assets, attachments, software packages, etc.)
  • VCS directories (git, hg, etc.)

A reference implementation in Go is provided with drivers to mirror the forges to and from F3, with drivers for Forgejo, GitLab and Gitea.

I have noted the required date & format (again very useful to have an example) for the monthly report.

I’m available for a talk at your earliest convenience and my schedule is quite flexible. Let me know two dates / time that are good for you and odds are I’ll be available. I am in the UTC+1 timezone.

Cheers