NLnet grant application for federation in Gitea (deadline August 1st, 2022)

I never was against this, so once again, I’m happy to see onepict getting funded within the Gitea grant for the community work.

2 Likes

Very happy to see @onepict in the forge federation space. I was only briefly present in the previous and the last forge friend meeting, but I distinctly remember how she made organizing the community side of things very straight forward. We could definitely use more of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

well I’m just suprised that this is an issue at all …

ack for having her in

2 Likes

:+1: I agree with what everyone else said.

2 Likes

Just catching up here. Not in the MoU but would love to see @onepict being funded as intended and part of our nice forge federation collective as before. Really enjoyed her participation and activity.

1 Like

Sent to NLnet today

Subject: Intake & link to payment request website

Dear NLnet,

As progress is made towards forge federation we would like to know how to proceed for sending request for payments. Maybe that was part of the intake document but, unless we missed something, we don’t think we received it.

Would you be so kind as to send it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Loïc, Anthony, Gusted, Aravinth & 6543

Reply from NLnet received the same day

Re: Intake & link to payment request website

Dear Loïc,

please find the information on how to get donations for this project. A recap for the others that might not be aware: it doesn’t involve much more than asking, once one or more (sub)task from the project plan are completed. Your “Request for Payment” (aka RfP) can be made through this web form:

[redacted]

[redacted] You can use the same link to check the status of your request. Of course it makes sense to combine multiple tasks in a single RfP, this saves everybody time.

The system will only allow to make requests for payment to people or organisations that are already part of the MoU, so if you engage new people to the project we at NLnet need to create an amendment before you can request payment. In such a case, people can send an email to [redacted].

To be safe, expect payments to take up to three calendar weeks, we do our best to make it quicker. If you expect to require payments during holiday periods, please factor in some potential additional delay or notify us well upfront as we may be running on skeleton staff.

I hope this is clear. If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask. And have a great weekend!

Kind regards,

Reply sent the same day to NLnet

Thanks for the quick reply!

@Gusted @Dodecahedron @6543 @realaravinth entrust2022@forgefriends.org is going to be migrated to a self-hosted mail provider. It is on Gandi but they decided a few month ago to charge 4€ per month for each mailbox. That was previously part of the package when renting a domain name but no longer. Please reach out to me for the url/user/password of the new hosting.

1 Like

It has been almost a year and since the workplan is not complete yet, I propose to kindly ask for an extension of another year. The initial MoU is valid one year but it was made clear since the beginning that the beneficiaries were not obliged to complete any task within that delay. There is a hard deadline in 2025 though and the extension is a one time thing.

As promised in 2022, I propose to take of informing NLnet that an extension is requested by sending the following mail. If there is no objection within two weeks, it will be sent:

Dear [redacted],

The implementation of the workplan was delayed and we kindly request an extension of one year to allow us to work to its completion.

The work done for moderation has been used in production for about six months (estimated a few hundred deployments and probably over 100,000 users) and is essential to enable federation. It is however much less that we would have liked to accomplish and the " State of the Forge Federation: 2023 edition" published in June 2023 further explain why our work was delayed.

We are determined to move forward in a better context and complete the workplan.

Thank you for your understanding

1 Like

+1 requesting extension,

I’m currently responsible for testing. I’ve made some progress in this area with ftest and I expect to achieve 80% of the goal by the end of the current grant period (December 20, 2023).

So if there’s work available, I request additional responsibility.

1 Like

The tasks are not assigned to anyone. As long as people who already expressed an interest in doing something do not object to you implementing tasks, there is no formal process requested.

One thing would be really good: implementing outbox in Forgejo (with tests in ftest) and/or expose the Forgejo followers as ActivityPub followers. Low hanging fruits.

1 Like

The mail was sent today and a copy can be found in the shared inbox under “2022-08-067 request for a one year extension”.

The delay extension was granted and the hard deadline is now 1 December 2024. There will be no more extension.