NLnet grant application for federation in Gitea (deadline October 1st, 2021)

oh, sorry. I should’ve been more clear, with codeberg unable to vote I’m unsure if a public statement could be made which is why I was suggesting the Gitea project blog (blog.gitea.io) as an alternative.

1 Like

Oh, sorry: I misread. Early morning distraction: your message was clear :blush: I do not think it will help with regard to support. But I think it might help if the blog post calls for support and people / organizations express their support publicly.

@pilou would you be so kind as to send the following as followup of the NLnet grant issue?

@techknowlogick @zeripath a gentle reminder: you have pending action items :slight_smile: The deadline is in 15 days and it would be wise to finish it as soon as possible to avoid any last minute troubles.

It should not take more than one hour of your time.

1 Like

@pilou would you be so kind as to send the following as followup of the NLnet grant issue?

I have good news :slight_smile: It turns out the workplan is not binding. What it means is that this workplan is just an indication that there exists a workplan already, instead of not. Assuming the proposal is accepted, the actual workplan as well as the cost of each subtask will be negotiated roughly one month after the acceptance. It makes sense: plans and personal situations can change between the date of the submission and the date when the work begins, three months later.

Bottom line, @zeripath has no work item left :tada: And there is just one item left for @techknowlogick : filling your bio & motivation in the grant application

1 Like

Posted.

1 Like

Posted (sorry for the broken timeline, I forgot to reply to the previous post).

1 Like

I’ve written my bio/motivation, just shared it w/ @zeripath for a second set of eyes before sending it over to you, and as for rate I think it make sense for both of us to share the same rate.

@dachary keep an eye out in your inbox from an email from codeberg next week, hopefully a message will be able to be sent from them in regards to support.

2 Likes

bio/motivation sent (via email).

2 Likes

@techknowlogick I copy/pasted the bio you sent via email. The application is complete :tada: Since you agreed with @zeripath on having the same daily rate, I assumed you would be comfortable with an hourly rate of 60€ and wrote down a daily rate of 480€ per day in the proposal. Feel free to change that if this is not correct.

I wrote a letter of recommendation that essentially says I support this grant application because it will be an important step forward to make fedeproxy redundant (being redundant is the ultimate goal of fedeproxy, the measure of success).

2021-10-gitea-nlnet-loic-dachary-recommendation.txt (1.5 KB)

Unless you have an objection, I will submit the proposal at NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery on your behalf September 27th, 2021, together with the letters of recommendation. Since @zeripath is the primary contact, he will receive the confirmation and from that point on it will be in your hands, I will no longer be involved.

2021-10-gitea-nlnet-application.txt (8.5 KB)
2021-10-gitea-nlnet-workplan.txt (6.0 KB)

2 Likes

Posted

1 Like
1 Like

There was no objection, I’ll post the proposal today at NLnet; NGI Zero Discovery on behalf of @zeripath. I made minor wording changes, the final version is attached below for archive.

2021-10-gitea-nlnet-application.txt (8.5 KB)
2021-10-gitea-nlnet-workplan.txt (6.0 KB)
2021-10-gitea-nlnet-loic-dachary-recommendation.txt (1.5 KB)

From that point on I will not be involved anymore. I’m very happy about the work that was done. Even if this grant application is denied, there is excellent material to answer future calls and I’m convinced funding will be granted eventually. It was made in a 100% transparent way, which is very rare and valuable to the Free Software community. I already stated that it was a precondition for my participation and I’d like to express my gratitude for everyone involved: it is an unusual requirement and it went very smoothly.

1 Like

Web acknowledgment of the submission.

NLnet; Application received.html (21.2 KB)

Posted

1 Like

Merci beaucoup Loïc. Your hard work championing this proposal is very appreciated <3

2 Likes

While writing this message on the Gitea forum I realized it would be worth clarifying that this does not compete in any way with this grant application, nor do I intend to claim any task from this grant application as a result.

I’m working on the go-fed integration because it is needed by fedeproxy and I’m discussing it in the Gitea forum because it should be contributed to Gitea. It is not specific to fedeproxy although the implementation is likely to land in the fedeproxy codebase before it is lands in the Gitea codebase.

An external observer could argue that it overlaps with the workplan from the grant application, and it indeed does. But this workplan is a rough indication of what is to be done at the time the application is sent. NLnet fully expects that the actual workplan set in motion months later will be adjusted to take into account the evolution of the codebase. In other words, if go-fed is integrated in Gitea at the time the work funded by NLnet starts, it means the federation implementation can go a little further, implement more tasks than originally planned.

Of course that won’t be true if federation is fully implemented before the grant is accepted. But there is much to do and this is unfortunately very unlikely.

1 Like

The grant was accepted

Here is a draft workplan updated and ready to use.

2022-gitea-nlnet-workplan.ods (14.7 KB)

1 Like