How and why do you use multiple software forges?

Bonjour,

Would it be a good idea to call for first hand testimonies of Free Software developers who use multiple forges? Ideally something with many details, but it would also have value if it is just a few URLs that demonstrate an actual use case.

A toot for this could look like:

Tell us what we must work on to make progress on the federated software forges front. We are employed part time (50%) and very motivated to do the right thing. Starting with a user centric approach, we need your experience, please speak up at https://…

What do you think ?

Yes, a well-placed toot may work well. Should include “Boosts highly appreciated” and preferably use some hashtags. Also you might create a Poll with some enticing options. An open poll entry “Other (please explain…)” might lead to good discussion. Including @activitypub@gup.pe will auto-boost to that group’s followers… might include that in the text.

In general there’s a relatively high friction for fedizens to sign up to Discourse forums. Most discussion will be toots.

As an additional option you may also use Lemmy, set up a FedeProxy community, but I also invite you to create posts in https://lemmy.ml/c/fediversefutures as it is on-topic.

1 Like

What about this?

Tell us what we must work on to make progress on the federated software #forges front. We are employed part time to work on #fedeproxy, starting … this month and very motivated to do the right thing. In a #UserCentric spirit, we need your experience. Answering a single question is helpful: what is your preferred forge?

• #Fossil
  • #Gitea
  • #GitHub
  • #GitLab
  • #Gogs
  • #Launchpad
  • #Pagure
  • #Phabricator
  • #Savannah
  • #SourceForge
  • #SourceHut
  • Other (please elaborate)

Even better: let us know the URLs of your multi-forge software development work or write down the whole story. Boosts highly appreciated.

I’m not sure how to include @activitypub@gup.pe … though :wink:

Yes this looks good. Dunno if you have a 500 char limit and ps. typo: staring --> starting.

Tell us what we must work on to make progress on the federated software #forges front. We are employed part time to work on #fedeproxy, staring … this month and very motivated to do the right thing. In a #UserCentric spirit, we need your experience. Answering a single question is helpful: what is your preferred forge?

#Fossil
#Gitea
#GitHub
#GitLab
#Gogs
#Launchpad
#Pagure
#Phabricator
#Savannah
#SourceForge
#SourceHut
Other (please elaborate)

Even better: let us know the URLs of your multi-forge software development work or write down the whole story. Boosts highly appreciated.

I’ve crammed a toot in 500 chars, in the way I would formulate…

#Fediverse 

We have found #funding and https://fedeproxy.eu is starting 🚀 

Our #foss project team is *very* motivated to do the right thing, and we need your input and help 🙏 

We'll offer @activitypub@gup.pe federation between #code #forges to provide seamless interop between repo's wherever they are hosted.

1st question: What's your preferred forge?

#Fossil
#Gitea
#GitHub
#GitLab
#Gogs
#Launchpad
#Pagure
#Phabricator
#Savannah
#SourceForge
#SourceHut
Other (please respond)

Boosts appreciated!

You can then follow up with a toot for 2nd question and provide some URL’s where more info can be found.

1 Like

Wow, great wording :slight_smile: I noticed the number of items in the polls is limited to 4. Do you think I should pick 4 out of the complete list? Or Just keep the list and not use the poll feature?

Don’t you think the first sentence should speak to people who have no context? Most of them won’t read beyond that if they don’t get what it is about, I suppose. But I’m not used to microblogging so I’ll follow your advice.

The same poll was recently posted & answered :cry:

I posted anyways.

@aschrijver the content of your toot turns out to be quite effective, well done!

1 Like