Forgefriends Updates, December 17th 2021, 11am-noon UTC+1 (Canceled)

This monthly meeting is a conversation about what happened in the forgefriends project since the last meeting, as described in the UPDATE December 2021 blog post .

Videoconference at https://meet.jit.si//ForgeFriendsCommunityMeetup

Short reminder about the Code of Conduct

It starts with 5 minutes presentations (maximum 6) about what was done since the last meeting followed by a 5 minutes free discussion on various topics. Everyone is invited to make a presentation, as long as something concrete happened and exclusively about activities conducted in public. Each presentation must be prepared (improvisation does not make for a useful presentation) and associated with URLs where participants will find evidences about the activities.

Setting the date for the next meeting

Any date during the next month is suitable. For instance the July meeting may be on the 20th and the August meeting on the 2nd, as long as at least two person are available to participate.

Presentations

• Introductions where everyone state their name (or nickname) and why they are attending this meeting
  • Welcome new participants

Discussion topics

Topics for next meetings

Simultaneous translation technical notes

• Everyone is connected to the same room
  • Before starting the meeting participants that will benefit from simultaneous translation will say so
  • Everyone lower the volume of the participants that will benefit from simultaneous translation to be audible but not understandable (less than 20%)
  • The that will benefit from simultaneous translation lower the volume of the translator to be audible but not understandable (less than 20%)

When the translator speaks, everyone hears a faint voice from the participant being translated and hears the translation instead. The participant being translated faintly hears the translator but is not disturbed because the volume is too low for them to understand.

I will not be able to organize this videoconference, which may not be too much of an inconvenience due to the time of the year when most people are busy preparing celebrations. If however someone is willing, they are welcome to step up.

I sent the following mail to the French and Chinese interpreters to ask them if they could reschedule to January.

Hi,

I would like to postpone the videoconference scheduled December 17th, 2021 to January 2022. The date is yet to be determined and I will ask for your availability to make sure you can attend. Would this be much of an inconvenience to you? Until this week-end I was hoping to get more participants to attend but it proved difficult, in part because of the time of the year. And in part, to be honest, because I did not spend enough time organizing the event.

Please feel free to voice any concerns you may have with this unexpected delay.

Cheers

Update: both replied quickly that they are ok with postponing and I thanked them for being flexible.

Is there anyone available today for just a casual un-agenda’d talk in English?

1 Like

Sure! I’ll be at https://meet.jit.si//ForgeFriendsCommunityMeetup at 11am UTC+1. Or any other hour of the day that has your preference except between 3pm and 5pm.

1 Like

Wonderful! See you at 11 o’clock then.

1 Like

Of course anyone else is welcome to join, this is an impromptu meeting, not a secret meeting :stuck_out_tongue: