Forge Federation talk for LibrePlanet March 2023

I asked the FSF whether an online session during the upcoming LibrePlanet conference is possible. Here’s the reply I got:

Yes, you may.

I believe there is a field on the form where you can indicate whether you plan to attend online or in-person. If you do not see such a field, please let me know. Otherwise, please write that you plan to submit for an online talk.

LibrePlanet 2023 Call for Sessions | Free Software Foundation

Best,
[redacted]

Here’s the stuff we need to fill in the Call for Sessions form.

• Session type
    • Presentation (45 minutes)
    • Panel / Discussion (45 minutes)
    • Workshop (90 minutes)
  • Session Title
  • A brief summary (This description will be printed on the Web site and in the program. Please aim for a maximum of 150 words.)
  • Abstract (This is a more elaborate explanation than the summary for the committee to understand your proposal. Please limit this to 300 words.)
  • Speaker release (This is a speaker release form, giving permission to the FSF to stream, record, and post a video of your session online. By checking one or more of the above boxes, I agree to the terms of the LibrePlanet Speaker Release.
    • Allow GNU Free Documentation License v 1.3 or any later version? Yes/no
    • Allow Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 4.0? Yes/no
    • Allow Creative Commons Attribution 4.0? Yes/no
  • Biography (Please keep this around 100 words.)
  • Please supply us with a photo of yourself for our Web site ( Use a picture you own the rights to. By uploading a picture you give us permission to publish and distribute it in connection with your participation at LibrePlanet. Please note, if you decide not to upload a photo, LibrePlanet will post a generic placeholder next to your session information. Files must be less than 2 MB. Allowed file types: gif jpg jpeg png.)
  • Please list previous presentations you’ve given. Feel free to include links.
  • In person or remote (LibrePlanet 2023: Charting the Course will be held in person and online, we are monitoring the Coronavirus pandemic, and are planning to be flexible about needs that arise. We will consider applications for remote only sessions, like all others, with the intent of integrating quality sessions into the schedule.)
    • I/We prefer to present in person
    • I/We can present in person or remotely, either works for me
    • I/We can present in person at the event, but would need financial assistance
    • I/We can’t possibly make it to an in person event
    • We’d be mixing remote and in person (Note: only possible under rare circumstances for a panel)
  • If other people will be presenting with you, please include their names and email addresses here.
  • photos for other speakers to upload

The exact dates and times aren’t published yet. The website says “spring 2023”.

I don’t have personal experience with giving talks, and it would be very helpful to me if we can do the following together:

• Make a list of speakers: Who wants to speak? @dachary, @Dodecahedron, myself, anyone else?
  • Make a list of topics we’d like to talk about
  • Figure out the overall orientation for the talk - do we talk about the overall state of forge federation? Or about our projects? Do we want to show a demo? Do we want to talk about the history and problems with forges? Mention github? Mention the give-up-github campaign? Mention radicle and git-ssb? Mention codeberg and framagit? Or just talk about our own work? And in which ways would we like the audience to “engage”, e.g. what would we like people to do after they hear our talks?

Remember, we have 45 minutes for this :slight_smile: (minus time for questions? Idk if it’s included or not)

2 Likes

Here are my raw very initial thoughts about what’s important to me:

Overall topic of the talk: Decentralized forges / decentralized collaborative software development

• Overview of the history of forges
  • Overview of current situation
  • Overview of alternatives (codeberg, framagit, radicle, git-ssb, etc.)
  • Our vision of decentralized forges
  • Our projects’ goals
  • Our project’s latest progress and current status
  • Demo, show people something they can see
  • Tell people how they can participate/support us and our projects
1 Like

I’m on board with the plan :+1: There should be something to show for Gitea, forgefed and F3 at the time the conference happens. Maybe start with the demo, like a five minute pitch to get people interested and then go to the long format for the remaining 40 minutes?

Since there are three of us and it happens remotely I’d like to propose something dear to me and somewhat in sync with the idea of federated projects, collective work. Instead of speaking in our names we would be “Three citizens of the fediverse” and remain anonymous. The video would show slides but not us. And we would add a short explanation (one minute at most) so people know we deliberately are anonymous.

In the past I participated in a collective that came up with something similar when going on stage. They were a group of eight or ten people, spoke in turn about the collective but remained unnamed.

It’s just a crazy thought and the plan is good with or without it :wink:

It’s an interesting idea! But I have many questions about it, worried about a possible negative effect of not attaching our work with human names and faces that people can trust. And we’d also need to clarify this stuff with the LibrePlanet team.

I have a lot on my mind, feeling some stress at the moment, I don’t think I have capacity to take care of this special arrangement - are you ok with a regular talk where names/faces aren’t hidden? And perhaps we can talk more about the anonymity stuff for some other event/time?

1 Like

A regular talk is fine by me, that was just an idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Submission Draft

Session type: Presentation (45 minutes)

Session Title: Towards Federated Forges

A brief summary:

Free Software needs free tools! We’re making software development collaboration and hosting websites (a.k.a forges) talk to each other using shared protocols, hopefully allowing the Free Software Community to create a decentralized network of self-hosted forge websites powered by fully Free Software, and whose UX design is geared towards filling human needs rather than company profits.

We’ll explore this vision, talk about (and see) our latest development progress, examine the challenges, and present our roadmap for realizing this dream.

Abstract:

The situation of software project hosting is quite disturbing: Although we call ourselves the Free Software Community, a lot (perhaps most?) of the software we use and develop is hosted on huge centralized services like GitHub, powered by proprietary software, where we’re mostly passive powerless users.

Some people choose to self-hosted their own website, using Free Software like Gitea or GitLab CE, but they pay a price. For example, collaboration requires to create a new account on this self-hosted forge, which may hinder participation. And it’s harder to keep track of your various projects hosted in different places and different UIs. And a lot of people believe your project becomes harder to find when it is not hosted on GitHub.

What if forge websites could communicate, creating a federated network? Much like Mastodon, Peertube, PixelFed, Lemmy, and many other federated applications. What if project data (repos, issues, PRs, etc.) could be easily migrated between forges, using a standard data format? What if we had a distributed project index and search mechanism, maintained together by all the forge websites, not controlled by any single entity?

We’re trying to make these things a reality, and we’ll talk about our projects, our progress, our challenges, our roadmap. We’ll talk about ForgeFed (ActivityPub extension for forge federation); F3 (an Open File Format for storing the information from a forge); implementation of federation in Gitea; ForgeFriends (an online service to federate forges); Vervis (ForgeFed reference implementation); Anvil (UI for federated forges).

Speaker release

• Allow GNU Free Documentation License v 1.3 or any later version? Yes
  • Allow Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 4.0? Yes
  • Allow Creative Commons Attribution 4.0? Yes

Biography (100 words total so try to keep it to ~30 words each?)

@6543: _

@dachary: Dachary created https://savannah.gnu.org in 2001, participated in https://gna.org between 2004 and 2017 and resumed working on software forges in 2021, with the https://forgefriends.org project. His full time occupation is to further federation so that forges such as Gitea and GitLab can communicate with each other.

@Dodecahedron: Anthony Wang is a college student enthusiastic about free software and distributed and decentralized systems. He is a Gitea contributor and ForgeFed maintainer.

fr33domlover: Dreams of a world in which everyone’s needs can be met in harmony. Explores liberation from patriarchal conditioning, nonviolent communication, deep nature reconnection. Software freedom activist.

@realaravinth: Aravinth is a college student and a Free Software developer who works on software forge ecosystem with forgeflux.org, gna.org, and librepages.org.

Photo of yourself

TODO

Please list previous presentations you’ve given. Feel free to include links.

Dachary: Upstream University training - LibrePlanet

In person or remote: Combined in-person and remote

If other people will be presenting with you, please include their names and email addresses here

photos for other speakers to upload

What’s missing

@dachary , @Dodecahedron :

• Can you please review this draft, confirm you’re ok with it and/or ask for changes?
  • Can you fill in your ~30 words of bio?
  • Can you send me (in Matrix/email) your name and email address for me to fill into the submission form?
  • Can you send me a picture of you that will appear on LibrePlanet website and program? Or tell me you prefer them to use a placeholder
  • Do you have previous presentations to mention in the submission form?

@dachary :

• Can you write a few description words for ForgeFriends and F3? In place of the question marks I left in the Abstract above
3 Likes

Dachary created https://savannah.gnu.org in 2001, participated in https://gna.org between 2004 and 2017 and resumed working on software forges in 2021, with the https://forgefriends.org project. His full time occupation is to further federation so that forges such as Gitea and GitLab can communicate with each other.

s/Free software/Free Software/
s/free software/Free Software/
s/Github/GitHub/

I would replace:

And your project probably becomes harder to find, because it’s not on Github’s project index.

with:

And a lot of people believe your project becomes harder to find when it is not hosted on GitHub.

Excellent abstract :+1:

• F3 (an Open File Format for storing the information from a forge)
  • forgefriends (an online service to federate forges)

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Upstream_University_training

@fr33domlover during today’s meeting both @6543 and @realaravinth agreed to join the talk if given the opportunity. What do you think?

1 Like

Can you please review this draft, confirm you’re ok with it and/or ask for changes?

It looks good to me. For the " In person or remote" question, I live in Boston so I could attend the talk in person.

Can you fill in your ~30 words of bio?

Anthony Wang is a college student enthusiastic about free software and distributed and decentralized systems. He is a Gitea contributor and ForgeFed maintainer.

Can you send me (in Matrix/email) your name and email address for me to fill into the submission form?

My email address can be found here.

Can you send me a picture of you that will appear on LibrePlanet website and program? Or tell me you prefer them to use a placeholder

I prefer them to use a placeholder.

Do you have previous presentations to mention in the submission form?

No.

1 Like

Can you fill in your ~30 words of bio?

Aravinth is a college student and a Free Software developer who works on software forge ecosystem with forgeflux.org, gna.org, and librepages.org.

Can you send me (in Matrix/email) your name and email address for me to fill into the submission form?

realaravinth at batsense dot net

Can you send me a picture of you that will appear on LibrePlanet website and program? Or tell me you prefer them to use a placeholder

https://libreplanet.net/wiki/Upstream_University_training is not valid,
Upstream University training - LibrePlanet is

1 Like

I submitted the talk! It includes myself, @dachary , @Dodecahedron and @realaravinth . Submission “deadline” is tomorrow, so if anyone else wants to join, let me know ASAP (and please provide the detailed I asked above).

What’s next: Shall we meet and start making a rough plan of the talk’s content? There’s plenty of time, but things are also dynamic and can change a lot depending on our progress. So I prefer to start early. Audio/video meeting in mid-December or so sounds okay? If not, let me know. If nobody objects, I’ll send a poll in a few days to pick exact date so that all 4 of us can participate : - )

3 Likes